People who happen to hear the songs 'Again,' 'New York and Back,' and 'Make Me Sing' for the first time would often wonder if the singers are really from the Philippines.
Actually, these songs come from a Pinay indie pop duo called Leanne & Naara.
Here are 10 things you need to know about them:
1. Leanne Mamonong and Naara Acueza first met in 2012 as freshmen in Assumption College.
2. They didn’t know that they were enrolled in the same course. Nevertheless, they became college block mates for four years.
3. The duo started their singing with just one school event. These days, they're known worldwide as Leanne and Naara on Spotify.
4. They don’t just sing, they compose their own songs.
5. Their first ever paid gig happened at Frank and Dean in BGC for the acoustic Thursdays, and it happened even before their college graduation.
6. Right after college, they scored a recording contract with Warner Music Philippines.
7. Their debut single, 'Again' rose to the top of the Spotify charts in 2016. It was #1 in the Philippines, #2 in Singapore and Indonesia, and #3 in Malaysia.
8. 'Again' has been streamed on Spotify over 10 million times.
9. Norah Jones, Stephen Bishop, and Jason Mraz are only some of the musical influences of this duo.
10. People often compare them to M2M, and not Indigo Girls.
With OPM currently thriving, it’s little wonder Leanne & Naara will definitely soar to greater heights.
For more on Leanne & Naara, check out We The Pvblic.